The Employees Retirement System (ERS) supports state employees who have dedicated their career to supporting Texas! The Accounts Payable/Payroll team in our Finance Division is seeking an experienced Travel/SPA Accountant who takes initiative to prevent and solve problems. The Travel/SPA Accountant performs complex to highly complex accounting work under the supervisor of the Accounts Payable/Payroll Supervisor. The ideal candidate should possess strong analytical skills, strong work ethic and be an effective communicator.
Essential Functions includes, but is not limited to
- Communicates to agency travelers the current ERS and State of Texas travel rules, including keeping the information on the ERS travel website current.
- Assists agency travel coordinators or individual travelers with complex travel arrangements. Also provides periodic training on updates.
- Audits employee travel vouchers and other required travel forms.
- Prepares purchase vouchers for reimbursing airfares, hotels, and rental cars.
- Maintains the petty cash fund.
- Utilizes the ERS Travel system, Concur and assists others with related questions and updates.
- Provides cash information to other finance departments for the daily cash transactions. This includes a detailed ending cash balance worksheet.
- Prepares journal entries, gets approval, and then posts entry in General Ledger.
- Performs and reviews monthly/quarterly reconciliations of accounts between General Ledger, subsidiary ledgers and Comptroller.
- Monitors account receivables for vendor reimbursable travel expenses.
- Assists in the writing of accounting procedures for theTravel and Accounts Payable.
- Assists with accounting for fixed assets including computing depreciation expense and year-end certification to Comptroller.
- Audits the purchase vouchers of fixed assets
- Audits the State Property Accounting system reports for accuracy
- Acts as the Program Administrator for SWABIZ and is responsible for maintaining the system.
- Acts as the Program Administrator for the ERS state travel cards and is responsible for establishing, updating, and closing accounts.
- Acts as the Program Administrator for Concur and works with Financial System Support on updates and maintenance.
- Acts as a back-up for the daily cash reconciliations.
- Keeps abreast of legislative changes which effect management of funds.
- Assists with special legislative requests, budget estimates, and other special projects.
- Assists with the design of automated accounting reports or forms that promote efficiency of operations.
As an Accountant V, you will do the following in addition to the above responsibilities:
- Reviews operating procedures and techniques and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Assists in the writing of accounting procedures for the Travel and Accounts Payable section.
- May approve preparation of vouchers by other accounting personnel.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- For an Accountant IV: Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent plus four years full-time advanced accounting, financial analysis, or related experience requiring compilation, reconciliation and /or analysis of detailed financial information. Each year (30 semester hours) of college credit can substitute for one year of work experience with a maximum substitution of four years.
- For an Accountant V: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance, or related field plus five (5) years of full-time advanced accounting, financial analysis, or related experience requiring compilation, reconciliation and /or analysis of detailed financial information. Qualifying work experience may be substituted for up to three years of the educational requirement.
- Two (2) years of full-time experience coordinating and overseeing travel authorization and reimbursement in accordance with State of Texas regulations.
- Three (3) years of experience using spreadsheet and word processing software (e.g., Microsoft Excel and Word).
- Two (2) years’ experience in preparing appropriate schedules, reports and working papers related to year-end close and the preparation of the Annual Financial Report (e.g., Annual Financial Report, General Revenue Certification, Certification of SPA Fiscal Balances, USAS and Interagency Activity Certification, Annual Agency Debt Report and Employee Benefit reports).
- Experience with PeopleSoft.
- Experience with PeopleSoft Financials.
- Accounting experience with a Texas state agency.
- Experience maintaining an accounting system (e.g., chart of accounts, profiles, batch jobs, report development).
- Experience with the Comptroller of Public Accounts Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS).
- Experience with the Comptroller of Public Accounts State Property Accounting System.
- Experience with the Comptroller of Public Accounts Hotel Engine.
: All applications must contain complete job histories, which includes job title, dates of employment, name of employer, supervisor's name and phone number and a description of duties performed. If this information is not submitted, your application may be rejected because it is incomplete. Resumes do not take the place of this required information.
Work is performed in an office environment. This position may require access to privileged, confidential, or sensitive data. ERS will conduct either a TXDPS or FBI criminal history check on all new hires. For more information about this policy inquiries can be made to email@example.com