ERS and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - Mobile Breast Cancer Screening Initiative Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
ERS and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center collaborated to provide convenient, no-cost preventive breast cancer screenings to eligible HealthSelect of Texas® and Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM plan participants in the Houston area. MD Anderson’s Mobile Mammography Unit performs the preventive screenings at state agency locations.
- are actively enrolled in HealthSelect of Texas, HealthSelect Out-of-State or Consumer Directed HealthSelect as your primary health plan;
- are not enrolled in Medicare as your primary health plan;
- had your/their last mammogram screening at least 12 months from the date of this mobile breast cancer screening mammogram; and
- meet other medical criteria.
- DO: wear a removable top.
- DO: bring your HealthSelect insurance card and a picture ID.
- DON’T: apply lotion or powder to the breast or underarm area.
- DON’T: wear perfume (you may apply deodorant sparingly, if necessary).
- review your demographic information,
- disclose your patient history and
- sign treatment consent and release forms.
Note: Mammography technologists are licensed with the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) and with the Texas Medical Board. Dedicated breast radiologists are board-certified.
Note: If you have not registered for BAM, you may want to do so now at www.healthselectoftexas.com. Click on the “Log in” button (located top right on the screen), and then on the “Register now” link. If you have questions about registering for a BAM account, call a BCBSTX PHA toll-free at (800) 252-8039.
Note: If you need any copies of your mammogram results, please contact MD Anderson directly at (713) 745-4000.
However, if your PCP sends you to a specialist for follow-up care, your PCP will need to submit a referral to BCBSTX before you see the specialist. If you do not have a referral on file beforehand, you will pay more, because your visit will be considered out-of-network, even if the specialist is in the HealthSelect of Texas network.
You can log into BAM at www.healthselectoftexas.com or by calling a BCBSTX PHA toll-free at (800)252-8039 to see if your referral is on file with BCBSTX.
HealthSelect Out-of-State, HealthSelect Secondary, and Consumer Directed HealthSelect plans do not require referrals.
If you still have questions about the mobile breast cancer screening program in collaboration with MD Anderson, please contact a BCBSTX PHA toll-free at (800) 252-8039.