The Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) supports state employees who have dedicated their careers to supporting Texas. Our mission is to offer competitive benefits to enhance the lives of our members. The Benefits Communication (BCOM) Division is seeking a Benefits Educator to perform highly complex (senior-level) informational and educational work as part of the Outreach and Events team. The Benefits Educator is responsible for educating ERS members about their employer-sponsored insurance and retirement benefits through presentations, including the preparation, coordination and dissemination of information, and coordination of events. This position requires reliable work attendance, which includes extensive travel with extended periods away from home. In addition, this person must be able to work well within a team environment, maintaining respectful communications and working harmoniously with coworkers, internal and external customers, and supervisors. The Benefits Educator works under limited supervision of the Assistant Director of Benefits Communications with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. If you enjoy interacting with people, public speaking and traveling throughout the great state of Texas and are experienced in providing job-related benefits information to employees or clients, this may be the position for you!
ERS promotes a strong work-life balance while driving employee excellence through professional development, a collaborative working environment and a competitive benefits package.
- Conducts benefits program information sessions for ERS members and retirees, benefits coordinators, and other ERS stakeholders. Information session formats include, but are not limited to, webinars, in-person small and large group presentations, staffing informational booths at events and conferences, and appearing in videos.
- Manages any and all event logistics, from conception to post-event follow-up, or oversees others managing event logistics.
- Coordinates travel with other ERS staff as needed to maximize cost savings.
- Assists with coordinating GBP administrators’ and other exhibitors’ participation at ERS events.
- Works with the agency to publicize the events.
- Projects a positive and professional image at all times when representing ERS.
- Ensures content and delivery are appropriate for the audience and are professional, engaging, effective and accurate.
- Provides prompt, high-quality service to internal and external customers including but not limited to members, vendors, stakeholders, ERS staff and the general public.
- Monitors the presentation questions email box and responds within three business days.
- Assists with documenting benefits educator events processes and procedures as needed.
- Communicates and collaborates with other benefits educators and ERS staff on staffing events.
- Assists with managing the BCOM events schedule
- Collaborates with other benefits educators on spring and fall events schedules.
- Performs event-planning tasks for Staying Connected conferences and Summer and Fall Enrollment as needed.
- Assists with monitoring the reservations email box as needed.
- Communicates and collaborates with other benefits educators and ERS staff on event planning.
- Writes and edits presentation materials and marketing pieces.
- Collaborates with other ERS staff to determine content.
- Creates presentations that are accurate, engaging and grammatically correct.
- Uses infographics to convey messages visually.
- Manages the review and approval process, ensuring deadlines are met.
- Assists with developing and executing a communications plan.
- Creates and conducts customer surveys and utilizes results to recommend appropriate enhancements.
- Manages the review process and updates as needed.
- Analyzes survey goals and objectives to ensure they are consistent with the division’s needs and recommends changes to supervisors as needed.
- Recommends survey software to supervisors and recommends updates/changes as needed.
- Manages the divisions’ access to survey software.
- Runs reports and shares statistical information with supervisors and other benefits educators.
- Serves as subject matter expert for communications about specific benefits programs -- developing strategy and content, and overseeing communications developed both in-house and by external vendors.
- Reviews and evaluates Request for Proposal responses and manages vendor implementations including, but not limited to, developing strategy, managing reviews and conducting in-person and online presentations.
- Creates and manages various project communication timelines.
- Drafts strategic communications, such as presentations and talking points, on complex and policy-related topics.
- Writes and edits marketing communications materials such as articles, special features, brochures, fact sheets and other content in a style consistent with organizational standards and appropriate for the targeted audience.
- Maintains materials in an organized and accessible manner, in adherence with record retention standards.
- Conducts project team meetings and briefings.
- Seeks out and utilizes customer input, readership, satisfaction surveys and other research data to develop and evaluate communications materials.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in public speaking, journalism, teaching, communications, or a related field. Each year of related experience over the required minimum may be substituted for one year (30 semester hours) of required college credit.
- Two (2) years of experience explaining job-related benefits to employees or clients.
- Three (3) years of experience in providing job skills training or professional public speaking experience.
- One (1) year of experience in event planning.
- One (1) year of experience creating presentations.
- Three (3) years of experience providing customer service to members, clients or customers.
- Experience explaining ERS benefits to members.
- Experience in creating communication project plans.
- Experience in facilitation.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Experience measuring and evaluating effectiveness of communications through targeted audience research (e.g. focus groups, surveys, etc.).
- Professional writing experience.
Requires up to 50% travel including overnight stays. Drives and/or flies to other cities within the state. Must be able to reliably attend scheduled events and presentations. Responsible for carrying audio/visual equipment, boxes of publications, laptop computer and other items weighing up to 50 lbs. to be used in seminars and benefit fairs. Texas driver’s license and good driving record is required. Work is generally performed in an office environment. This position may require access to privileged, confidential or sensitive data. ERS will conduct either a TXDPS or FBI criminal history check on all new hires. For more information about this policy inquiries can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org