Our mission is simply stated: ERS offers competitive benefits to enhance the lives of its members. Each team member across the agency contributes to our ongoing success.
Seeking Client Reconciliation Accountant to perform routine to moderately complex accounting and benefit program assistance work in the General Accounting and Client Reconciliation Section in the Finance Division. Responsible for processing service purchase payments for Service Class, Commissioned Peace Officers/Custodial Officers, Elected State Officials and Judges. Reviews service purchases posted to member accounts. Processes service purchase refunds. Reviews, audits, and corrects member accounts as needed. Audits and reconciles the daily funding request of TexFlex Health and Dependent Care Reimbursement accounts.
Essential Functions includes, but is not limited to:
- Processes all purchase of service transactions. Reconciles payments and refunds of contribution for service purchases including lump sum and/or rollover payments to buy back service.
- Performs manual interest calculations and adjustments. Processes service and contribution adjustments for after tax and before tax contributions. Submits request for corrections to be made in the pension system.
- Researches errors and discrepancies in retirement contribution accounts and reports.
- Prioritizes work to meet daily, weekly, monthly and year1y deadlines; plans daily work assignments and coordinates handling multiple tasks.
- Prepares written correspondence and responds to e-mail and telephone request from members, Benefit Coordinators and Payroll Officers relating to service purchases.
- Evaluates the authenticity of members' records for service history and -verifies service balances. Researches and verifies records through microfilmed history and pension system to determine eligibility for benefits.
- Performs analysis and testing of operational system to enhance system performance. Interacts with other divisional staff to achieve unit goal objectives including ensuring the accuracy of data corrections, including members' service, social security numbers and other data.
- Works with Information Systems and Financial Systems Support (FSS) sections, to ensure that data fixes and/or corrections to member accounts are correct.
- Updates and reconciles daily and monthly service purchase and retirement contribution data, reviews internal reports using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Processes the daily funding and weekly extensions for the TexFlex program.
As Accountant III, will perform all tasks as Accountant II with greater responsibility and performance standards and:
- Assists in the training of other staff members within the Client Reconciliation section.
- Processes and reconciles refunds for overpayments of TexFlex claims.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Your application for employment must reflect how you meet each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Graduation from an accredited senior high school or the equivalent.
- Two (2) to three (3) years (depending on classification level) of experience in accounting work. Each year (30 semester hours) of college credit can substitute for one (1) year of work experience with a maximum substitution of one (1) year.
- Six months experience in the use of spreadsheet and word processing software (e.g., Microsoft Excel and Word).
Your application for employment should reflect how you meet the following preferred qualifications:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a major course work in accounting, finance, business administration, finance or related business field is preferred.
- Experience with PeopleSoft.
- Experience with MS Excel (e.g. Vlookup, Pivot Tables, etc.)
ERS offers a hybrid work schedule. Work in an office environment with opportunities to work remotely. This position may require access to privileged, confidential, or sensitive data. ERS will conduct either a TXDPS or FBI criminal history check on all new hires. For more information about this policy inquiries can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) CodesVeterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com with questions or for additional information.
How to Apply: Submit a State of Texas Application for Employment with an ERS Qualifications Form & other required materials, if any, to the ERS, Human Resources Office by 5 p.m. CST on the closing date. Resumes will be accepted only as supplements to an application. Please contact a Human Resources representative if you need assistance or require accommodation during the application process.
Email: Employment@ers.texas.gov Web: www.ers.texas.gov
Fax: (512) 867-3161 Relay Texas TDD: (800) 735-2989