HealthSelectShoppERS is now live
September 01, 2020
Participants can save money and earn rewards on certain medical services and proceduresYour employees enrolled in a HealthSelect of Texas®, HealthSelectSM Out-of-State or Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM can now participate in HealthSelectShoppERS.
HealthSelectShoppERS is a health care shopping and savings program that allows participants to:
- compare costs for many health care services and procedures,
- estimate out-of-pocket costs and
- earn incentives for shopping for certain medical services and procedures.
Why are ERS and BCBSTX offering HealthSelectShoppERS?In addition to earning HealthSelectShoppERS rewards, comparison shopping for medical services and procedures can help participants make the most of their benefits and save money on health care. It also helps the HealthSelect plans save money, which makes it easier for the State of Texas to continue to offer employee and retiree health benefits and keep members’ costs—like copays, coinsurance and monthly premiums—low. Comparison shopping is one way HealthSelect participants can support the state’s efforts to provide competitive health benefits to state employees, retirees and their families.
How does it work?Step 1 – After a HealthSelect participant’s primary care provider (PCP) or specialist recommends a HealthSelectShoppERS-eligible medical procedure or service, the participant can:
- Log in to Blue Access for Members at www.healthselectoftexas.com, click on the “Doctors and Hospitals” tab and then the “Find a Doctor or Hospital” link.
- In Provider Finder, type in the name of the procedure to search; or choose “select “Cost Estimates” and then “All Rewarded Procedures.”
- Compare the health care providers (facilities) that perform the procedure and select a lower-cost, quality provider that qualifies for a HealthSelectShoppERS reward.
Step 2 – Have the procedure at the HealthSelectShoppERS-eligible facility. Participants should keep in mind that a referral or prior authorization may be required for the procedure. To confirm referral and prior authorization requirements, they can contact a BCBSTX Personal Health Assistant.
Step 3 – When the medical service or procedure is complete, the provider will submit the claim to BCBSTX. Once BCBSTX processes the claim (usually within 30-45 days), and as long as the participant is still eligible, ERS will deposit the reward into their TexFlex flexible spending account (FSA): a health care FSA for a member of HealthSelect of Texas or HealthSelect Out-of-State, or a limited-purposed FSA for a member of Consumer Directed HealthSelect. If a participant does not have a TexFlex health care FSA or limited-purpose FSA, ERS will open one for them.
The participant and/or their enrolled dependents may be eligible for an incentive if the participant is actively employed (not retired):
- when they shop for the service or procedure,
- when they get the service or procedure,
- when BCBSTX processes the claim
- and when ERS receives the reward amount for processing.