Optional Retirement Program (ORP)
Optional Retirement Program (ORP) for Retirees
You may use ORP service credit to help you meet the Rule of 80 or at age 65 toward the 10-year requirement for retiree insurance. If you refunded your ORP account, you can’t use the time towards insurance eligibility.
- Governed by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
- Earned at institutions of higher education.
- Available to employees who choose ORP instead of TRS.
- Does not increase your ERS annuity amount.
- Helps you meet retirement eligibility sooner.
Higher education participants in the ORP can’t buy back refunded ERS service without being re-employed by a state agency under ERS (not TRS).
Certain rules apply if you plan to use ORP service credit to retire under ERS. Contact ERS to certify your ORP service and we’ll send you the form to complete.