Social Media Policy
This policy is also featured within the ERS Facebook page
We expect conversations to follow the normal conventions of polite conversation. You don't need to support everything ERS does or agree with our information, but we will delete comments that:
- Contain graphic references, inappropriate references, vulgar language and personal attacks of any kind, or offensive terms that target specific ethnic or racial groups.
- Mention far-off topics (unrelated to ERS business, benefits or other topics).
- Make unsupported accusations - or make any abusive or hateful comments that, in our opinion, appear harmful to anyone or any organization.
- Advertise and/or promote a commercial product or service, or any entity or individual.
- Encourage any illegal or violent activity or that could compromise public safety.
- Are multiple off-topic posts or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted.
- Include personal health information (PHI).
- You participate at your own risk. ERS is not responsible for your comments, username and any information you provide.
- Comments and opinions expressed by those who post to the ERS page are theirs alone and don't reflect the opinion of ERS, its employees and Board of Trustees.
- Information is made available to you for your independent use and is not intended to provide you with benefits, insurance, retirement or investment advice. We cannot and do not guarantee its applicability or accuracy with regard to your individual circumstances.
- ERS assumes no liability for damages incurred directly or indirectly as a result of errors, omissions or discrepancies. Moreover, ERS is not responsible for any content and does not endorse any website or advertisement that is linked to or from ERS through social media.
- This is for information distribution and discussion purposes only. The information contained in ERS social media does not amend or overrule any applicable statute or administrative rule, or any decision rendered by the rule put in place by ERS staff or our governing Board of Trustees.
- ERS is not responsible for any social media information about ERS, its programs, benefits, representatives, vendors, customers, etc. that is not posted by an authorized ERS representative.
We won't edit comments to remove objectionable content; we'll just delete them.
We recognize social media is a 24/7 medium, and your comments are welcome any time. However, given the need to manage our resources, responding and post-moderating comments will occur during regular business hours Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). Comments submitted after hours, on weekends or on holidays will be reviewed as early as possible; in most cases, this may mean the next business day.
We’re happy to answer general benefits-related questions, but in many cases the fastest way to get an accurate and detailed response to a question about your specific benefits issues is to call ERS Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. CT toll-free at (877) 275-4377. Calling also better protects your personal financial and/or health information.
If you're looking for the official source of information, check the ERS website. We encourage you to use the "report post" link to the right of each comment if you feel that any comment violates these guidelines.
Protect your privacy - Do not include any confidential information in any comments or discussions. ERS may remove postings to its social media that contain personally identifiable information, but neither ERS nor its licensors or contractors are responsible for any damages caused by any posts or by delays in removing a post. We will not answer personal benefit-related questions on social media. If you have a question related to your specific situation, we encourage you to contact ERS.
- By posting a photograph, video, graphic, or other material, you confirm that the material was taken by and/or owned by you and expressly give ERS permission to republish or otherwise distribute the content.
- If a copyrighted photograph, video, graphic or other material is posted, it should bear appropriate copyright information, which may be embedded in the image or file. Copyrighted information may not be distributed without the permission of the copyright holder.
- ERS will remove any content if it discovers that the use of such content violates any law.
Public Information and Records Retention
Posts and comments from the public on ERS social media become public records and may be posted on the ERS website or other social media. This information is subject to public information requests. For more information, check out the ERS public information requests policy.
ERS social media are subject to state records retention requirements, which will apply regardless of the format (such as photos, audio or video). ERS will put forth reasonable efforts to archive copies of social media content to meet state records retention obligations.
Terms of Services
ERS social media are hosted on platforms by third parties and have terms of service and policies that are not governed by ERS or the State of Texas (e.g. Facebook, Youtube and LinkedIn platforms have terms of service and policies which apply to those using the platforms).
The ERS social media policy is in accordance with the Texas Department of Information Resources Social Media Policy and is subject to amendment or modification at any time.
Media representatives interested in ERS information or obtaining interviews should email us rather than submit questions as comments.