Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Adopting, becoming a foster parent, or child birth are qualifying life events in terms of your benefits. You may add a newly acquired dependent or a newly eligible dependent within 31 days of the date the dependent became eligible for coverage. Child must be under age 26 for health insurance.
- Natural Child (Biological child)
- Adopted Child
- Child of Managing Conservator
- Foster Child
- Legal Ward
- Other child
- Qualified Medical Support Order
Documentation will need to be provided to confirm eligibility.
Dependent Child Certification
You must be able to certify this child:
- is related by blood or marriage, and
- can be claimed on your federal income tax return.
In some cases, a child may be covered due to good cause. Good cause means due to unexpected circumstances you are required to take parental responsibility for the child this year. You may not certify the child for good cause unless you will legally claim the child as your dependent for federal income tax purposes in this current year.
Options for Coverage
Within 31 days of the event, consider the following:
- Add your child when first eligible in health and/or dental insurance*.
- Consider changes to Optional Group Term Life Insurance (active employees).
- Add your child to Dependent Term Life Insurance* (active employees).
- Elect to participate in or change contributes to your TexFlex health care and/or dependent care accounts** (active employees).
- Cover future pregnancies, illnesses or injuries by enrolling in short-term and long-term disability (active employees).
*Child must be under age 26 for health insurance, and can be married or unmarried. Child must be under age 26 and unmarried for dental insurance and Dependent Term Life Insurance.
**Children are eligible for the day care account up to age 13.