Reasons for the change
Reasons for the Benefits Change
Family Status Change is used to make changes within 31 days of a qualifying life event
. The reason for the change determines what changes you can make to your coverage. Choose the reason based on what happened in your life. Note: Changes are effective the first of the month following your qualifying life event date with the exception of the birth of a child, adopting a child and gaining a MSO in which coverage takes effect as of the QLE date.
- Birth of a Child
- Change in Employment Status
- Child loses Eligibility
- Can no longer claim "other child" on my income tax
- Other child is one who is related to me by blood or marriage and claimed on my federal income tax return for the previous tax year and will continue to be claimed on my federal income tax return for every calendar year the child is covered.
- Child gets Married
- Death of Dependent
- Dependent eligibility changes due to:
- loss of eligibility for my GBP coverage (age or marriage).
- loss of eligibility for other insurance coverage.
- becoming eligible for my GBP coverage.
- becoming eligible for other insurance coverage.
- Dependent leaves HMO area
- Dependent eligible after waiting period
- Employee/Retiree gets married
- Employee/Retiree gets divorced
- Employee/Retiree gains/loses Medical Support Order (MSO)
- Gained child through foster care, adoption or becoming court appointed guardian of a child.
- Medicare/Medicaid eligible
- Medicare/Medicaid ineligible Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 (CHIPRA)
- Significant change in cost due to:
- approval for Health Insurance Premium Payment (HIPP) Program,
- loss of HIPP eligibility,
- increase in day care costs, or
- increase in other health or dental insurance that does not include GBP insurance.
- Election Update - can be used with the following actions:
- leave of absence status,
- return from leave of absence status, or
- employee status change, such as a change from full-time to part-time status (or vice versa).