There are three steps to retirement. ERS members with retirement accounts can create a personalized retirement estimate (Step 1) at any time, even if they’re not planning to retire soon.
Create up to five estimates to include:
Retirement estimates are only available to members with an ERS retirement account, they are not available to retirees. The online estimator does not include information from a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO), service from systems participating in the Proportionate Retirement Program (PRP) or withdrawn service. Contact ERS to estimate your retirement payment and date if you have a QDRO, PRP service or if you withdrew service and have not bought it back yet. For more information, visit the retirement and insurance eligibility page
Step 2 - Apply for retirement no earlier than 90 days before your planned retirement date.
You must speak with a retirement counselor to prepare your retirement packet. Before you call or meet with a counselor, make sure you know:
- retirement payment options,
- partial lump sum options (if applicable),
- beneficiary information (including name, date of birth, relationship and Social Security number),
- direct deposit information (routing and account number) and
- your tax withholding status.
Retirement counselors are available by phone or by scheduling an appointment at ERS offices
. After you talk to the counselor and make your selections, ERS will email you your retirement packet if you have an email on file, otherwise it will be mailed. Print your retirement packet.
Step 3 - Complete the retirement process, by returning your documents before your retirement date.
- Sign your Retirement Acceptance form in front of a notary public. The original notarized form must be sent to ERS—photocopies are not accepted.
- If you’re married and choose someone other than your spouse as a beneficiary for a survivor payment option 1, 2 or 5, your spouse will also need to sign the Retirement Acceptance form in front of a notary public.
- Submit a copy (photocopies are acceptable) of your proof-of-age document.
- Copy of your valid REAL-ID compliant state issued driver’s license or ID (seal in the upper right corner)
- If you do not have a REAL-ID compliant driver’s license or ID, you must submit one of the following along with a copy of your non-compliant REAL-ID driver’s license or ID:
- a birth certificate,
- naturalization certificate or
- US Lawful Permanent Residency Record.
- Note: A baptismal record, Bible record or school record are no longer valid proof of age documents.
- If you choose survivor payment option 1, 2 or 5, submit a copy of your beneficiary’s proof-of-age document.
- If you are transferring TRS service credit to ERS, complete the TRS Service Credit Transfer Request form.
- Complete the beneficiary designation form for the $5,000 Retiree Lump Sum Death Benefit. This benefit is separate from the Basic Term Life Insurance benefit.
- Mail all of the documents to ERS, P.O. Box 13207 Austin, TX 78711-3207.