TexFlex Flexible Spending FSA for Active Employees
By participating in one or more TexFlexSM accounts, you can set aside money pre-tax from your paycheck, to cover eligible out-of-pocket health care and dependent care expenses.
- TexFlex health care flexible spending accounts (FSA)
- TexFlex limited-purpose flexible spending account (FSA) - for Consumer Directed HealthSelect participants only
- Dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSA)
How it works
- Each month, your contribution is automatically withdrawn from your paycheck pre-tax and deposited into your account.
- When you sign-up for either a TexFlex health care or limited-purpose FSA, you’ll receive a free debit card in the mail to pay for eligible health care expenses.
- Purchase eligible items and submit your claim or use your TexFlex debit card to have the expense pulled directly from your account.
- Because the TexFlex FSAs are tax-free, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires all purchases with TexFlex funds to be validated. While every effort is made to validate expenses on your behalf, you may be asked to submit proof that you used your card for an eligible expense so be sure to SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS!
Below is an example of savings based on an annual salary of $50,000:
By lowering your pre-taxable income, you save money.
|with TexFlex||without TexFlex|
|TexFlex pre-tax contribution||($2,000)||$0|
|Federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes||($10,966)||($11,616)|
|After-tax dollars spent on eligible expenses||$0||($2,000)|
|Real spendable income||$37,034||$36,384|
|* Sample tax savings for a single taxpayer with no dependents. Actual savings will vary based on your individual tax situation. Please consult a tax professional for
Eligibility and Enrollment
If you are a benefits-eligible active employee, you can enroll in, make changes to or cancel TexFlex health care, limited-purpose and dependent care FSAs within 31 days of your hire date, during Summer Enrollment or within 31 days of a qualifying life event (QLE).
If you elect to participate as a new employee and have a health coverage waiting period, you will have a 60-day waiting period before your TexFlex health care or limited-purpose FSA will begin. Enrollment becomes active on the first day of the month following your 60th day of employment. If your 60th day of employment falls on the first of the month, the coverage begins on that day.