Apply for Retirement for Retirees
There are three steps to retirement. ERS members with retirement accounts can create a personalized retirement estimate (Step 1) at any time, even if they’re not planning to retire soon.
- Sign into your account to create your personalized retirement estimate. Estimates include:
- Apply for retirement no earlier than 90 days before your planned retirement date. You must speak with a retirement counselor to prepare your retirement packet. Before you call or meet with a counselor, make sure you know:
- To complete the retirement process, return your documents before your retirement date:
- Sign the Retirement Acceptance form in front of a notary public.
- If you’re married and have chosen someone other than your spouse as beneficiary for a survivor payment option, have your spouse sign the Retirement Acceptance in front of a notary public.
- Valid Proof of Age Documents: Copy of a Birth Certificate, Passport, Naturalization Certificate, or US Lawful Permanent Residency Record. If your current name or the name of your beneficiary does not match the document, you must also bring a copy of a valid state driver's license.
- If applicable, make a copy of your beneficiary’s proof-of-age document.
- If applicable, complete the TRS Service Credit Transfer Request form.
- Complete the beneficiary designation form for the $5,000 Retiree Lump Sum Death Benefit.
- Mail all of the packet documents to ERS.