HealthSelect of Texas® is a network-based point-of-service plan. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas is the plan administrator. HealthSelectSM of Texas is available to employees who live or work in Texas. HealthSelectSM Out-of-State is available to employees who live or work outside of the State of Texas.
HealthSelect of Texas includes a comprehensive prescription drug plan called the HealthSelect Prescription Drug Program, which is administered by OptumRx. You will receive two ID cards: one for medical and one for prescription drug benefits.
Enrollment in this plan also includes $5,000 of Basic Term Life Insurance.
Plan benefits vary depending on whether your providers are in the HealthSelect network. It pays to stay in the network - using network providers can reduce your out of pocket costs.
- HealthSelect of Texas has a large network of more than 50,000 doctors and other providers.
- You must choose a primary care physician (PCP) who is responsible for coordinating your care and managing any referrals you may need to see specialists.
- There is no annual medical deductible if you stay in the HealthSelect network.
- You can elect to use non-network providers, but you will have higher out-of-pocket costs.
Benefits and wellness programs
- Preventive services provided by a network doctor – like annual check-ups and vaccinations – are covered at 100 percent.
- You are responsible for copayments and/or coinsurance for some doctor and hospital visits and other medical services, such as outpatient surgery and high-tech radiology.
- HealthSelect has a suite of wellness programs available to all participants.
- See the Master Benefits Plan Document for information about your health plan benefits.
Eligibility and Enrollment
- The plan is available to GBP eligible employees and dependents who live or work in Texas. Evidence of Insurability is never required to enroll in this plan.
- You can enroll in this plan during your first 60 days of employment and coverage will begin the first of the month following your 60th day of employment.
- You can also enroll when you have a qualifying life event (QLE) such as a birth or marriage and coverage will begin on the date of birth or the first of the month following the event.
- You can enroll during Summer Enrollment and coverage will begin on September 1 of that year.