State of Texas Retirement for Active Employees
The State of Texas Retirement program is a defined benefit retirement plan (also known as a pension) for eligible employees of State of Texas agencies, with mandatory participation.
Note: ERS does not administer retirement benefits for employees of higher education institutions, the Community Supervision and Corrections Department, or Windham School District. If you work for one of these entities, please see the Teacher Retirement System of Texas/Optional Retirement Program (TRS/ORP) page for information about your retirement benefits. Please see the Insurance Benefits in Retirement page for information about your insurance benefits as a retiree.
- Monthly annuity for life when the member becomes eligible and chooses to retire
- Options for a lump-sum payment on retirement and/or survivor benefits after retiree’s death
- Automatic enrollment for employees of State of Texas agencies , elected state officials and district attorneys in the first month of employment/office, with the first contribution deducted from the first paycheck
- Automatic enrollment for certified peace officers in the Law Enforcement & Custodial Officers Supplemental Retirement Fund (LECOSRF), which provides an additional retirement benefit at an additional cost, with the first contribution deducted from the first paycheck
- Automatic enrollment for judges the Judicial Retirement System 2 (JRS 2), with the first contribution deducted from the first check
How do I sign up?
- Eligibility for retirement annuity based on age, years of service and date of employment
- Automatic enrollment during first month of employment/office, with the first contribution deducted from the first paycheck.
- Three-steps process to apply for retirement, upon reaching eligibility
When you become eligible and retire with ERS, you will receive a lifetime monthly payment called an annuity.
You may choose:
- the standard annuity or
- an option that continues payments to your designated beneficiary after your death and/or
- a partial lump-sum payment upon retirement.
- Frequently asked questions about retirement
- Overview of Group 4 retirement - for regular employees starting on/after Sept. 1, 2022 (pdf)
- Group 4 retirement benefits(video)
- Planning Your Retirement booklet (pdf)
- Purchasing service credit
- Ready, Set, Retire - presentation Groups 1,2 and 3 Regular Service Employees (pdf)
- Ready, Set, Retire - presentation (video)
- Ready, Set, Retire! - Group 1 Regular Service Employees (pdf)
- Ready, Set, Retire! - Group 2 Regular Service Employees (pdf)
- Ready, Set, Retire! - Group 3 Regular Service Employee (pdf)
- Ready, Set, Retire! - CPOs and COs presentation (pdf)
- Regular State Employee Retirement and Insurance Overview handout (pdf)
- LECOSRF overview page
- Overview of Group 4 LECO retirement - for law enforcement and custodial officers starting on/after Sept. 1, 2022 (pdf)
- Group 4 retirement benefits - for law enforcement and custodial officers (video)
- Elected state official overview page - includes district and criminal attorneys that receive salaries from the state general revenue fund
- JRS overview page
- Proportionate Retirement Program
- Texa$aver℠ 401(k) / 457 Program - personal retirement savings to supplement your State of Texas retirement income
- Texa$aver plan comparison
- Health insurance premium contributions for retirees