HealthSelect Medicare Advantage for Retirees
HealthSelectSM Medicare Advantage Plan, a preferred provider organization (MA PPO), is a Medicare Part C plan offered by ERS and administered by UnitedHealthcare® beginning January 1, 2021. HealthSelect MA PPO works with Medicare Parts A and B to cover most medical services for retirees and their eligible dependents. This includes doctor visits, hospital stays, medical care, urgent care and wellness programs.
- No annual deductible—including no Medicare deductible or coinsurance—and lower monthly premiums for eligible dependents and survivors.
- Visit any provider who accepts Medicare and agrees to bill UnitedHealthcare for charges. If your provider does not bill UnitedHealthcare, you have the option to pay charges and submit claims to UnitedHealthcare to be reimbursed.
- Access to no-cost gym memberships and other wellness programs.
- Prescription drug coverage through HealthSelect Medicare Rx.
Eligibility and Enrollment
To be eligible for HealthSelect MA PPO, retirees, survivors and their dependents must be:
- at least 65 years old OR certified as disabled by the Social Security Administration (SSA),
- enrolled in Medicare Parts A (hospital care) and B (other medical) coverage and
- live in the United States or Puerto Rico.
Note about Eligibility
- Retirees who return to work for the state or a higher education institution in a benefits-eligible position are not eligible for HealthSelect MA PPO. As a return-to-work retiree, your coverage reverts to your previous non-Medicare Advantage health plan and prescription drug coverage.
- Retirees and/or dependents with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) are eligible to enroll in HealthSelect MA PPO only after their 30-month coordination period with Medicare has ended.
A split household has at least two people, with one who is enrolled in Medicare and another who is not yet eligible. View this Medicare Preparation Handout to learn about different coverage scenarios for retirees and dependents in split households.
How to Enroll
Retirees, survivors and dependents who are enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B must contact ERS with their Medicare information (located on their Medicare card) to start their enrollment in HealthSelect MA PPO. You can do this through your ERS OnLine account or by calling ERS toll-free at (877) 275-4377. Plan ahead—the process may take up to 60 days for this coverage to go into effect.
If you do not enroll in Medicare Part B, you cannot enroll in HealthSelect MA PPO and may be responsible for paying the portion of your health care expenses that Medicare would have paid. If you are eligible for Medicare, and you don’t contact ERS with your Medicare information to enroll in HealthSelect MA PPO, or, if you choose to opt out of HealthSelect MA PPO, you are enrolled in HealthSelectSM Secondary for Retirees, which includes a $200 yearly deductible.
Freedom of movement
Retirees, survivors and their eligible dependents can switch between HealthSelect Medicare Advantage and their previous non-Medicare Advantage plan at any time; you do not need to wait for the annual enrollment period.
View these resources to learn more about enrolling in Medicare and HealthSelect MA PPO.