HealthSelect Secondary for Retirees
When you become eligible for Medicare and enroll in Medicare Parts A and B, you will need to call ERS with your Medicare details. ERS will enroll you in HealthSelectSM Medicare Advantage. You can choose to stay in HealthSelect of Texas, but your plan will change to secondary coverage (formerly called “out-of-area” coverage).
HealthSelectSM Secondary is administered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX). It is available to Medicare-eligible retirees who opt out of HealthSelect Medicare Advantage (administered by UnitedHealthcare). It generally costs more than HealthSelect Medicare Advantage: The monthly premiums are higher for retirees whose premiums aren’t paid 100% by the state, dependents and survivors. In addition, there are more out-of-pocket costs. The plan includes a comprehensive prescription drug plan called HealthSelect Medicare Rx, which is administered by UnitedHealthcare.
Enrollment in this plan also includes $2,500 of Basic Term Life Insurance.
- You can visit any provider that accepts Medicare.
- You may be responsible for deductibles, copayments and/or coinsurance.
- You will receive two ID cards: one for medical and one for prescription drug benefits.
- HealthSelect Secondary has a suite of wellness programs available to all participants.
Eligibility and Enrollment
- The plan is available to Medicare-eligible retirees and dependents. HealthSelect of Texas participants who live outside the United States will be enrolled in HealthSelect Secondary. Evidence of insurability is never required to enroll in this plan.
- You will enroll in this plan at retirement (if you are eligible for Medicare when you retire).
- You will enroll in this plan when you become eligible for Medicare.
- You can also enroll a dependent when you have a qualifying life event (QLE) such as a marriage and coverage will begin on the first of the month following the event.
- If you were enrolled in HealthSelect Secondary and switched to HealthSelect Medicare Advantage, you can switch back to HealthSelect Secondary at any time.