HealthSelectSM Out-of-State is a network-based preferred provider plan by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX). HealthSelect Out-of-State is available to non-Medicare eligible retirees and employees who live or work outside of Texas. HealthSelect Out-of-State includes a comprehensive prescription drug plan called the HealthSelect Prescription Drug Program, which is administered by OptumRx. You will receive two ID cards: one for medical and one for prescription drug benefits.
When you become eligible for Medicare and enroll in Medicare Parts A and B, you will be automatically enrolled in HealthSelect Medicare Advantage, a preferred provider organization (MA PPO) administered by UnitedHealthcare®. You can choose to stay in HealthSelect of Texas. Your coverage will change to HealthSelect Secondary, regardless of where you live. Your prescription drug coverage will be through HealthSelect Medicare Rx, which is administered by UnitedHealthcare.
Enrollment in this plan also includes $2,500 of Basic Term Life Insurance.
- You are responsible for copayments and/or coinsurance for some doctor and hospital visits and other medical services, such as outpatient surgery and high-tech radiology.
- HealthSelect has a suite of wellness programs available to all participants.
Eligibility and Enrollment
- The plan is available to GBP-eligible non-Medicare retirees, employees and their dependents who live or work out-of-state. Evidence of Insurability is never required to enroll in this plan.
- If you do not retire directly from state employment, you can enroll in this plan within 60 days of retiring and coverage will begin the first of the following month following your 60th day of retirement.
- You can also enroll when you have a qualifying life event (QLE) such as a marriage and coverage will begin the first of the following month.
- You can enroll during Summer Enrollment and coverage will begin on September 1 of that year.
A household of at least two people, where at least one member is enrolled in Medicare and one member is not eligible for Medicare.
, Rita and Gus are married and both are currently enrolled in HealthSelect of Texas. Rita is a state retiree who is 65 years old and enrolled in Medicare. Gus is also retired and is enrolled as Rita’s dependent, but he is 64 years old and not yet eligible for Medicare. Rita can enroll in the HealthSelect Medicare Advantage Plan while Gus stays enrolled in HealthSelect, HealthSelect Out-of-State or an HMO.