HealthSelect Out-of-State for Retirees
HealthSelectSM Out-of-State is a network-based preferred provider plan managed by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX). HealthSelect Out-of-State is available to non-Medicare eligible retirees who live or work outside of Texas. HealthSelect Out-of-State includes a comprehensive prescription drug plan managed by OptumRx. Participants get two ID cards:
- one for medical and
- one for prescription drug benefits.
When you become eligible for Medicare and enroll in Medicare Parts A and B, you will be automatically enrolled in HealthSelect Medicare Advantage, a preferred provider organization insured by UnitedHealthcare®.
You can choose to stay in HealthSelect of Texas. If you do so, your coverage will change to HealthSelect Secondary, regardless of where you live. You will get prescription drug coverage through HealthSelect Medicare Rx, managed by UnitedHealthcare.
Enrollment in either of these plans includes $2,500 of Basic Term Life Insurance.
- You are responsible for copayments and/or coinsurance for some doctor and hospital visits and other medical services, such as outpatient surgery and high-tech radiology.
- HealthSelect has a suite of wellness programs available to all participants.
Eligibility and Enrollment
- The plan is available to GBP-eligible non-Medicare retirees, employees and their dependents who live or work out-of-state. Evidence of Insurability (EOI) is never required to enroll in this plan.
- If you do not retire directly from state employment, you can enroll in this plan within 60 days of retiring and coverage will begin the first of the following month following your 60th day of retirement.
- You can also enroll when you have a qualifying life event (QLE) and coverage will begin the first of the following month.
- You can enroll during Summer Enrollment and coverage will begin on September 1 of that year.
About split households
You have a split household when one of at least two people is enrolled in Medicare and others are not eligible for Medicare.
- Plan Benefits
- HealthSelect Prescription Drug Program information
- Guide to Appeals
- Certify your tobacco use
- HealthSelectSM Secondary for Medicare participants