Optional Add-on Benefits
ERS offers a variety of optional benefits to help members and their families live healthy, productive and financially secure lives.
Optional benefits available to employees and retirees include:
- Dental coverage
- Vision insurance
- Optional life insurance:
- Dependent Term Life Insurance:
- Discount Purchase Program
Optional benefits available only to employees include:
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance that provides income when you’re unable to work, through the Texas Income Protection Plan (TIPP).
- Disability insurance requires evidence of insurability unless a new employee applies within 31 days of hire
- Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- TexFlexSM flexible spending accounts (FSA) let you set aside money from your paycheck, pre-tax, to use for eligible out-of-pocket expenses including:
- health care,
- dependent “day” care,
- commuting expenses and
- dental and vision expenses.
Optional benefits are paid for 100% by participants. The State of Texas does not provide funding for optional benefits or their administration.
ERS manages optional benefits, and contracts with third-party administrators to help keep costs low.